Happy Fourth of July!
Need a last minute summer snack to whip up for a party or picnic? Try these SUPER simple sweet, sour and spicy quick pickles!
These pickles are SO flavorful, with just the right balance of sweet and sour- with a little kick at the end from some spice. They can be ready is as little as 2 hours and will last 2-3 weeks in an air-tight container in the fridge. You can use whatever type of cucumber you like- English, mini-pickling, etc. OR try using onions, sweet peppers or even carrots! The pickling possibilities are endless!
The best part? These pickles are made with all natural ingredients that you can probably find in your pantry AND they are completely Paleo as they are sweetened with coconut sugar! Looking for a keto friendly option, use monk fruit! The original recipe is from Valerie at Home, but with a few replacements, this great recipe can fit it with a variety of low-sugar lifestyles.
- 4 mini pickling cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- 8 baby carrots
- 2 mini sweet bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs of fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. ground
- 1 tsp. red pepper flake (omit if you don't like spice)
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- Bring the vinegar, water, coconut sugar and dry spices to a gentle simmer, stirring to dissolve. Turn off heat and set aside. Place the veggies, dill and garlic into tall tight sealing jar (like a mason jar). When the liquid has become a bit cooler (but still warm), pour into the jar and let cool to room temperature. Seal and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. The carrots get better sitting over night, but the cucumbers, peppers and onions will be ready after 2 hours. The pickles will keep for 2-3 weeks in the air-tight container. Enjoy!