Happy Valentine’s Day!
I love any reason to celebrate- especially when it involves whipping up sweet treats for family and friends.
I’ve been thinking about what to whip up this year for this day of love, and of course, thought of all of the regular go-tos: brownies, cookies, cheesecakes, truffles…
This year, because of a partnership between Orangespoken and Envy Apples, I knew that these gorgeous beauties would be the perfect ingredient for whipping up a Valentine’s Day treat!
The Envy apple is just apple perfection. Sweet, crisp, and clean, this apple was created as a cross between Royal Gala and Braeburn apples. The flesh is bright and white, and the skin is a gorgeous blend of swirly and speckled reds, oranges, and yellows. Envy apples are in season in the US from November through March, and if you live in the Tampa Bay area, you can pick up a fresh bag of Envy apples from your nearest Walmart Supercenter!
Envy apples are absolutely delicious on their own, sliced up and paired with your favorite nut butter, diced up and tossed into savory salads, or cooked into pies, cakes, or breads! They also make an amazing addition to your favorite sangria recipe!
At only 18g of carbs per apple, 3g fiber, 65 calories, and around 12g of natural sugar in each medium sized apple, you can feel good about adding these to your daily diet- even if you’re doing low carb or keto (like me), you can enjoy a few slices of these with an added fat (like a drizzle of coconut oil with cocoa powder and stevia, or a dollop of almond butter!).
OR, you can whip up this recipe for low carb, refined sugar-free Hasselback baked apples!
I was watching one of my favorite shows on the Food Network last weekend, Trisha’s Southern Kitchen, and saw my BFF whip up baked hasselback apples. I had heard of hasselback potatoes before, but hasselback apples were new to me! And They. Looked. Absolutely. AMAZING, and being that I had a gorgeous box of Envy apples just waiting to be turned into something glorious, this recipe seemed like the perfect fit!
Because I’m deep into (6 months!) eating low carb, no sugar, I definitely wanted to clean up the recipe I saw on the show and make this fit into my lifestyle.
These apples turned out SO amazingly scrumptious! Juicy and tart, yet buttery and sweet- and the crunch of the almonds on top just sent these over the moon! I used some of my most favorite low carb/keto friendly products in this dish- Envy Apples (of course!), Sukrin Gold, which is an amazing sugar free, low carb sweetener that mimics brown sugar, Bob’s Red Mill blanched almond flour, Kerrygold Irish Butter (seriously the best butter ever!)
Here’s the recipe!
- 3 medium-sized Envy apples- peeled, cored, and halved vertically
- 3 tbsp. Sukrin Gold sweetener
- 3 tbsp. melted unsalted Kerrygold butter
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp. Sukrin Gold sweetner
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond slices (or chopped pecans)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2. Starting at one edge of the apple, cut most (but not all) of the way through each apple half at 1/8-inch slices (it helps to place the apple half in between two wooden spoons while slicing to prevent the knife from going all of the way through.)
- 3. Place apple halves core-side down in a greased ceramic or glass baking dish.
- 4. Combine 3 tbsp. Sukrin gold, 3 tbsp. melted butter, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract together and brush mixture evenly over each apple.
- 5. Cover the apples with foil and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. While the apples bake, prepare the topping by combing all of the ingredients and stirring until mixed.
- 6. Remove apples from the oven and use a butter knife to carefully fan open the slices, just enough so that the topping mixture falls into the slices. Spoon the mixture over the apples and bake uncovered for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the topping becomes golden brown (you can also broil these for 1-2 minutes right before taking them out of the oven!).
- 7. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream!
Learn more about Envy Apples and where to find them by visiting www.envyapples.com.
Follow Envy Apples on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest and through the hashtag #biteandbelieve!
HAVE A WONDERFUL VALENTINE’S DAY!