Happy New Year!
People ask me alllllll the time:
“How do you get up so early for workouts? I could NEVER do that!”
Guys, I’m telling you. Morning workouts are where it’s AT.
We all know that exercise=endorphins, and what better way to start your day than with a whole boat-load of those going through your veins! It’s been proven that exercise elevates your mood, provides you with a positive attitude and gives you a sense of accomplishment when it’s all said and done. Sounds like a great way to start your day, if you ask me!
Sure sleep is great (and necessary), but with careful planning, you might discover that getting your workouts done before the sun comes up might be something you may just learn to love (like me!).
If you’ve ever thought about making the switch, check out my 7 tips for working out in the morning.
1. Go to bed early. NO EXCEPTIONS. Rest=Success. Make sure you’re shooting for 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
2. Place your workout clothes and gear out and ready to go the night before. Scrambling for socks at 5am is not a good way to get into a seamless morning pre-workout routine. Have it all ready to go the night before, or better yet, sleep in your gear and slip your shoes on in the morning!
3. Skip the snooze button. Set 2-3 alarms with peppy music and get out of bed after the first one goes off (I set more than one JUST in case…). Laying in bed hitting the snooze button could make you late. It’s best to physically remove yourself from bed, hit the bathroom, wash your face and get some light in your eyes!
4. Workout with a friend. Knowing that someone will be waiting for you is a HUGE motivator. Agree to call or text one another in the morning to keep each other accountable!
5. Hydrate the night before and in the morning. I like to drink a cold glass of lemon water in the morning as soon as I get up. The cold and citrus flavor is a burst of freshness that wakes me up a bit.
6. Prepare a to-go snack the night before. I typically don’t eat before my morning workouts, but as always, find out what works for you.
7. Make it fun. Don’t like to run? Then don’t get up in the morning to run! Find something you LIKE. You’ll be much more motivated to get up and at em’ if you’re looking forward to it. Most pools open early for lap swimming. Or how about a Zumba class? Or join me at the Bar! There are so many ways you can move in the morning. Do the things that will make you excited about getting into a consistent morning routine.
Bonus: Stop for coffee on the way home. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy driving home after a workout listening to my favorite tunes and sipping on an unsweetened iced coffee with cream and cinnamon. It’s my happy place.
Your mind will make 1,000 excuses as to why you shouldn’t or “don’t need to” get up early and go workout. Tell it “shhhh” and follow your morning routine as planned. Getting out the door is HARDER than the workout itself; believe me! Don’t let your brain talk you out of it. Follow the 7 steps, get into a routine (it takes 2 weeks to make a habit!), stop analyzing and just GO!
What about you? Do you prefer morning or afternoon/evening workouts?