Ok so maybe these aren’t’ the best meatballs that have ever rolled through town.
BUT, I must say they ARE the best meatballs that have ever graced this website. 😉
So what makes these meatballs so great?
1. They’re PACKED with fresh veggies. (They’re grated into the mixture so your tasters will be none-the-wiser).
2. They’re breadcrumb FREE! Yup, no bread in sight!
3. They’re juicy, and delicious- the perfect addition to your tried and true pasta sauce!
- 1lb ground beef (I used 80/20)
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp. each fresh chopped parsley, basil and oregano
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cracked red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Using a cheese or vegetable grater, grate the carrot, celery, onion, garlic clove and zucchini into a large mixing bowl.
- Add both meats, seasonings, herbs, cheese, whisked egg and brown rice to the bowl.
- Using your hands, mix just until ingredients are all combined (over mixing=tough balls!) 😉
- Chill the meatball mixture for 15-20 minutes, then roll into golf-ball sized balls with your hands or a melon scoop.
- You can choose to fry or bake your meatballs before placing them in your favorite sauce to simmer-I like to fry mine over medium heat in a bit of olive oil to create a crispy outer sear that holds up well in the sauce.
- If you choose to bake them, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees, then place your meatballs in a shallow pan (a mini muffin tin works well too!) and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- I like to serve these guys with a hearty, homemade marinara sauce atop some steamy, fresh spaghetti squash “noodles!”.