I. Love. Halloween.
I love the tricks. I love the treats. I love the costumes, the chill in the air, the pumpkins proudly propped on porches.
Be still my heart.
I probably love Halloween THIS much becuase my mom loved it just as much (if not more!) than I do.
I grew up celebrating Halloween in a BIG way. Awesome homemade costumes, trick or treating around the neighborhood, special treats to take to school to share with teachers and friends- the whole 9 graveyards.
But the best part about my childhood Halloween experiences? AMAZING Halloween parties at my grandparent’s house. Every year my mom would throw these super fun parties with friends and family to celebrate the holiday. Festive decor, spooky witches brew (with dry ice!), hilarious party games, delicious munchies, hayrides around the block. Those memories remain vivid in my mind, and I hope to one day bring as much joy to my own children’s Halloween as my mom brought to mine.
I’m excited for Halloween this year because it falls on a Friday! We plan to sit outside in camping chairs passing out treats to all the little ghouls, goblins, princesses and superheroes that swing through the neighborhood.
And I’ll be adding a little something special to MY trick-or-treat bag: Paleo Caramel Apples!
Yup, you heard me right! No tricks here! These apples are the real deal, and BOY are they scrumptious!
- 5-6 medium sized granny smith apples
- 1 cup raw unfiltered honey
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- topping options: chopped nuts, unsweetened coconut flake, dark chocolate bits
- Popsicle sticks
- Wash apples with a mixture of white vinegar and water to remove the wax coating some apples come with. Insert Popsicle stick into the top of each apple.
- Prepare a tray lined with wax paper. Set aside.
- Place honey, coconut oil, almond butter, vanilla extract and sea salt into a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high in 45 second increments, or until honey begins to bubble slightly; stirring in between each interval.
- Let the mixture cool for a moment, then dip each apple into the mixture, turning to coat evenly. Allow excess caramel to drip into the bowl then place on wax paper to cool.
- While cooling, sprinkle with toppings. You can also re-dip before you sprinkle with the toppings to ensure a thick and even coating of caramel 🙂
- Place into the fridge to harden. Enjoy!