Happy New Year!
I hope you had a wonderful holiday season! I know I did!
Wait, who am I kidding? The holidays are still in full swing around here! Although we are taking down our tree today (so the hens can enjoy it in the backyard for a while!), Christmas movies are still on the tv, holiday scented candles are still burning, twinkle lights are still sparkling, and that festive feeling is still very much in the air.
The holiday spirit should flood our hearts and homes all year long as far as I’m concerned! 😉
With the new year upon us, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on how I want to continue to build my true, best self through the goals I set back in August of 2017 when I decided to start following a ketogenic way of life.
So what’s my plan? Keep doing what I’m doing, of course! It’s working, I’m feeling amazing, my blood work is improving significantly, and my doctor is super supportive (she even follows keto herself!). I’m also going to be adding more stretching (my word for 2019 is STRETCH!), yoga, mindfulness practices, and giving opportunities by continuing to prepare dinner at the Ronald McDonald House.
With that, I’m excited to bring ya’ll some new keto friendly recipes this year here on the blog, and we’ll go ahead and kick off 2019 with this delicious recipe for low carb buffalo chicken meatballs- cooked in the air fryer!
No air fryer? No problem! You can easily bake these in the oven! They are SO tender and juicy with all of the buffalo flavor that you could want! I ate mine on top of a chopped salad with iceberg lettuce, diced celery, diced cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, sliced red onions, and a homemade ranch dressing! I added blue cheese crumbles to top it all off, but if blue cheese isn’t on your foodie love list, omit it and just add extra ranch!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1lb white meat ground chicken
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup pork rinds, pulsed in a food processor to make a "crumb"
- 1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup Crystal hot sauce (or other brand of just peppers, vinegar, and salt)
- 2 tbsp. melted Kerrygold butter
- homemade ranch dressing (www.ruled.me/keto-approved-ranch-dressing) and crumbled blue cheese for garnish (optional)
- If using your oven, pre-heat your oven to 400F.
- Add parmesan cheese to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use your hands or a fork to mix ground chicken, whisked egg, all spices, and pork rinds until just combined (being careful not to over mix).
- Form mixture into walnut-sized meatballs, and roll each meatball into parmesan cheese to coat.
- If baking, place meatballs onto a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden brown and no more pink inside.
- If using an air fryer, place meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer, spray with olive oil, and fry at 400 for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown and no more pink inside.
- While the meatballs are cooking, melt butter and hot sauce together.
- To serve: dip meatballs into buffalo sauce and serve immediately.
What are your hopes and dreams for 2019? Find me on social media and do share!