This adventure was made possible through my blogging partnership with the awesome people at DriveShop and Mazda, who provided me with a vehicle to test drive. You can follow the conversation on social media with the hashtag #DriveMazda.
I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it a million more…Mazda builds some BEAUTIFUL vehicles. I spent a whole week with the gorgeous, luxurious and sporty Mazda 6 Grand Touring over spring break a few weeks ago, and I must say, it was difficult letting it go at the week’s end! Between the bright and shiny soul red paint job, to the 19-inch alloy wheels, it was love at first sight. But it didn’t stop there- the inside is a show stopper as well. This option came loaded with gorgeous black leather seats, and a crisp and clean dashboard that was not only beautiful, but easy to navigate.
When I was originally given the opportunity to test drive the Mazda 6 over spring break, I had planned to take the vehicle for a few stay-cation road trips in and around the surrounding area. There is SO much to do near where I live (Tampa Bay, FL) that just a 1/2 tank of gas will provide you with a change of scenery. As it came closer to test drive time, I started talking to one of my best friends about her upcoming surgery. Liz, from the amazing blog, No Ordinary Liz, truly has #noordinarylife. Somehow, some way, she managed to tear not one but BOTH of her Achilles tendons! Last fall she had her first surgery and when she was almost healed, her doctor began talking about scheduling the second surgery. Liz is completely on her own for the most part, but luckily she has a HUGE network of people (including her amazing sister and brother-in-law) that were here to help her for both surgeries. When Liz began talking about how it would be difficult for her sister to take off a week of work to help her during her first week post-op, I suggested that Liz schedule her second Achilles surgery during my spring break so that she would have the help that she needed. Well, we certainly made the most of the Mazda 6 during that time- and trips to the doctor’s office for post-op visits were a little more special than they would have been.
The Mazda 6 is surprisingly roomy. Liz (and her cast which we kindly dubbed “the chicken nugget”) was able to sit comfortably for the almost 30 minute drive to the doctor’s office and was floored by the 180 degree incline that the front seats recline to! She was feeling a bit uncomfortable on the ride home, but was able to recline and rest a bit with that comfortable feature. I was also floored by the amount of space the trunk had! Although I didn’t snap a picture, we were able to fit Liz’s folding wheelchair PLUS two full size crutches in the trunk. I did, however, snap a picture of a Target trip that same week.
In addition to the comfort and space, I loved the rear back-up camera, the Bose centerpoint premium audio surround system, crystal clear LED lighting system, and the gorgeous view from the one touch open moonroof/sunroof. The Mazda 6 is also excellent on gas mileage, getting 26/38 MPG with the 184 HP 2.5L SKYACTIV-G-powered engine.
In addition, the 2016 Mazda 6 is equipped with available Smart City Brake Support. There are some amazing safety features, but my favorite would have to be the blind spot monitoring control, the rain sensing windshield wipers and rear view back-up camera with rear-cross traffic alert. It’s a great feeling to know that I those added safety features right at my finger tips. I also really appreciated the head’s up display! It took a day or so to get used to it, but once I did, I was hooked.
Some additional features of the 2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
- SKYACTIV-G 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT
- 184 hp @ 5700 rpm; 185 lb-ft @ 3250 rpm torque
- Front-Wheel Drive
- 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
- Electric Power Assisted Steering
- 19-inch Alloy Wheels
- P225/45 R19 all-season radial tires
- Variable Rain-Sensing Wipers
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade
- Heated Power Mirrors w/ Turn Lamps
- LED daytime running lights
- 5-Passenger Seating
- Air conditioner with pollen filter
- Tilt & Telescopic Steering Column
- Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel w/ Audio/Cruise/Bluetooth Controls
- Power Automatic Door Locks
- Power Windows w/ Driver One-Touch
- Leather Trimmed Sport Seats
- 8-Way Power Driver’s Seat
- Driver Power Lumbar Support
- Manual Passenger Seat Lifter
- Heated Front Seats
- Mid w/ Trip Computer
- Advanced Keyless Entry System
- Electronic Parking Brake
- Push Button Engine Start
- Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
- BOSE AM/FM/CD/MP3/SAT 9-SPK
- HD Radio/Aux Jack/2 USB Input
- Bluetooth Hands Free Phone/Audio
- 7″ Color Touch-Screen Display
- Multi-Function Commander Control
- Rearview Camera
- Dual Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
- Center Armrest w/ Covered Storage
- Rear Seat Center Armrest
- Carpeted Floor Mats
- Mazda Navigation system
Safety and Security Features
- 60MO/60K MI Powertrain & 36MO/36K MI Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty
- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance (36MO/36K MI)
- 5-Passenger 3-Point Safety Belts
- Latch Child Safety Seat Anchors
- Anti-Theft Engine Immobilizer
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- SKYACTIV Body
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS with EBD & Brake Assist)
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Hill Launch Assist
- Advanced Dual Front Airbags
- Front Side-Impact Air Bags
- Front & Rear Side Air Curtains
If you’re looking for a comfortable vehicle that is PERFECT for families, couples or even if you’re just living the independent life, check out the Mazda 6! It’s super affordable starting out at around $21,500!
Have you driven the Mazda 6? What did you think?