Back in the Fall I added something called PiYo to my workout regimen (read all about PiYo in my intro post by clicking here!). Unfortunately I did not complete the entire 30 day challenge I had set to accomplish, so I’ve dusted off the DVDs and heading BACK for a 2nd shot!
Life’s all about second chances, right? 😉
I’ll be starting this 30 day challenge on April 1 following the suggested workout calendar that’s included in the DVD set (Total no brainer!) to supplement my Orangetheory workouts and running.
And let me tell you; I cannot WAIT to start. Flexibility is NOT my strength. I mean saying I’m “inflexible” doesn’t even cut it. I’m stiff, rigid, awkward, clumsy, and hell if those fat rolls don’t get in the WAY.
I know, in time, I will improve. And I’m really looking forward to seeing my progress as I journey through the next 30 days of this month-long PiYo challenge. PiYo really is designed with ANY body type in mind. The workout is packed with modifications, and if there’s something you just can’t do (right now), skip it, or do something you CAN do in its place (squats or lunges are always my go-to filler!).
Even at Orangetheory I make modifications if there’s something that causes me pain or discomfort that just doesn’t feel right. For example, the extra weight I carry is killer on my wrists. So things like pushups and burpees always do a number on them. I modify pushups like many people do- by getting on my knees whenever I need a break. And for burpees, well I have to credit Coach Jeff at OTF for showing me how to do burpees on the weight bench. They still get my heart rate pumping, without causing wrist pain.
Piyo for Plus Sizes
What I loved about PiYo when I first tried it last Fall is that I’m able to use many of these modifications (and others I didn’t even know about!) to ensure I’m completing the poses with proper alignment, and focusing on form in an effort to avoid injury and get the most out of what the workout has to offer.
In the end it comes down to knowing your body, knowing your strengths and weaknesses, and working WITH them, not against them. It’s SO easy to get frustrated, self-conscious or even quit when fitness becomes awkward or challenging. But if you stay calm, stay positive and stick with it, you’ll find that you’ll be able to reap the benefits sooner than later.
Flexibility comes with practice.
Results come from consistency.
Strength comes from determination.
Here are the workouts I’ll be doing over the next 30 days:
- Align: The Fundamentals (40 min.): This workout breaks down the most important and effective moves in the program to help you perfect your form and get the best results possible.
- Define: Lower Body (25 min.): Get your sleekest and leanest legs ever as you lengthen and strengthen your entire lower body—from your glutes and hamstrings to your calves.
- Define: Upper Body (20 min.): Use this incredibly effective workout to start chiseling away at your upper body to help shape your arms, carve out your triceps, and define sexy shoulders.
- Sweat (35 min.): A traditional PiYo workout that incorporates effective dynamic conditioning, fast-paced cardio yoga-flows, and bodyweight resistance strength training to help sculpt your entire body.
- Core (30 min.): This ab-centric workout hits your powerhouse from every angle to build a strong core, flat, sculpted abs and obliques, as well as a strong and sexy back.
- Strength Intervals (25 min.): Twenty-five minutes is all you need of this nonstop body-carving, calorie-incinerating workout that uses no weights, no equipment, and gives you no bulk!
- Drench (45 min.): This endurance workout maximizes fat burning while it works every muscle in your body. It will not only leave you drenched—it will kick-start your metabolism as you scorch away the fat.
- Sculpt (30 min.): This workout uses varying tempos to keep your muscles under tension for different periods of time. This generates muscular endurance and metabolic changes that will totally transform your figure.
- Full Body Blast (30 min.): A total-body workout that uses the Beachbody Strength Slides to push your fat-burning potential into overdrive in just 30 minutes.
- Strong Legs (30 min.): Use the Beachbody Strength Slides to lunge, squat, and stretch your way to amazing quads, glutes, and hamstrings for your strongest, leanest, and most defined legs ever.
If you’re interested in doing this 30 day PiYo challenge with me, let me know!
Have you tried yoga, Pilates or PiYo? Do you have any suggestions for plus sized athletes? Do share!